Google

lundi 27 juin 2016

Stevenson to defend boxing crown, seeks 15th win in a row

Montreal (AFP) – Haitian-born Canadian Adonis Stevenson, the World Boxing Council light-heavyweight champion for the past three years, will defend his crown July 29 against American Thomas Williams at Quebec City.
The showdown of southpaws will be Stevenson’s seventh title defence of the crown he took from US fighter Chad Dawson by knockout in June 2013.
Stevenson, 27-1 with 22 knockouts, is on a 14-fight win streak since suffering his lone loss to Darnell Boone in 2010, a defeat he avenged by knocking out the American in 2013.
In all, Stevenson has 12 knockouts in his past 14 bouts, the 38-year-old most recently stopping American Tommy Karpency in the third round last September in Toronto.
“I am very happy to return to the ring on July 29,” Stevenson said. “I’ll demonstrate that like fine wine, I’m even better with age. Even though I haven’t boxed in 10 months, I’ve never left the gym and I’m willing and ready to defend my crown.”
Stevenson, who hasn’t fought outside Canada since 2011, holds the lone belt in the division not owned by Russian fighter Sergey Kovalev, who had hoped to meet Stevenson to decide an undisputed crown but instead is set to defend his titles in Russia next month against Malawi’s Issac Chilemba.
Williams, 20-1 with 14 knockouts, has won three times since suffering his only loss to Spanish former world champion Gabriel Campillo in 2014. In April, Williams stopped Dominican Edwin Rodriguez in the second round.
“There were many people who had lost trust in me two years ago after my loss, but here I am,” Williams said.
“I’m coming off of the best performance of my career and I’m ready to hold that belt. Stevenson has never faced a puncher like me.”
http://www.breitbart.com/news/stevenson-to-defend-boxing-crown-seeks-15th-win-in-a-row-7/

Aucun commentaire: